If you’re looking for a summer holiday that offers beautiful beaches, stunning landscapes, and a vibrant nightlife, then Zante should definitely be on your list. Zante, also known as Zakynthos, is a popular Greek island located in the Ionian Sea, and it’s only a short flight away from the UK. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know about Zante, from how to get there, to the best places to visit, and what to expect in terms of weather and costs.
Getting to Zante
The easiest way to get to Zante is by flying from the UK. You can fly to Zakynthos International Airport (ZTH) from several UK airports, including London Gatwick, Manchester, and Bristol. The flight time is around three and a half hours, and once you arrive, it’s easy to get around the island by taxi, bus, or car rental.
Weather in Zante
Zante has a Mediterranean climate, which means long, hot summers and mild winters. The best time to visit Zante is between May and October when the weather is warm and sunny. In July and August, the temperatures can reach up to 30°C, so make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen and stay hydrated. In the winter months, temperatures drop to around 10°C, and some hotels and restaurants may close during this time.
Costs in Zante
Zante is generally an affordable holiday destination, with prices for food, drinks, and accommodation being lower than other popular Greek islands like Santorini and Mykonos. On average, a meal for two at a mid-range restaurant will cost around €30, and a pint of beer costs around €4.50. If you’re looking to save money, consider visiting in the off peak season, when prices are lower, and the island is less crowded.
Places to Visit and Things to See
Zante has plenty to offer for tourists, from relaxing on the beach to exploring the island’s natural beauty. Here are some of the best places to visit and things to see in Zante:
- Navagio Beach – also known as Shipwreck Beach, this stunning cove is famous for its crystal-clear waters and the wreckage of a smuggler’s ship that ran aground here in 1980.
- Blue Caves – located on the north coast of the island, the Blue Caves are a series of sea caves that offer a magical, otherworldly experience.
- Zakynthos Town – the island’s capital is a charming, historic town that’s perfect for a day of exploring. Highlights include the Venetian Castle and the Byzantine Museum.
- Laganas – if you’re looking for a lively nightlife scene, then Laganas is the place to be. This popular resort town has plenty of bars and clubs that stay open until the early hours of the morning.
- Keri Village – located on the south coast of the island, Keri Village is a traditional Greek village that offers a glimpse into the island’s history and culture.
Zante is a beautiful Greek island that has something to offer for everyone. With its stunning beaches, warm weather, and affordable prices, it’s no wonder that it’s such a popular holiday destination. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing break or a lively party scene, Zante is definitely worth a visit.