Santander, located in the north of Spain, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Known for its beautiful beaches, historic landmarks, and delicious cuisine, Santander is an ideal vacation spot for travelers looking for a mix of relaxation and culture. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know about visiting Santander, including how to get there, when to go, weather at different times of the year, and places to visit or eat.
How to Get There
Santander has a regional airport, Santander Airport, which is located 5 kilometers from the city center. Direct flights to Santander Airport are available from several European cities, including London, Dublin, and Frankfurt. If you prefer to take the train, Santander is connected to Madrid and other major Spanish cities by high-speed trains. Alternatively, you can also drive to Santander from other parts of Spain or France.
When to Go
The best time to visit Santander is between June and September, when the weather is warm and sunny. However, if you don’t mind cooler temperatures, Santander is a great destination year-round. The city is especially beautiful during the spring months of March and April when the flowers are in bloom.
Weather at Different Times of the Year
Santander has a mild oceanic climate with moderate rainfall throughout the year. In the summer months (June-August), temperatures range from 20-25°C, making it the perfect time to explore the city’s beaches. In the winter months (December-February), temperatures can drop to 8-10°C, so be sure to bring warm clothing if you plan to visit during this time.
Places to Visit
- Palacio de la Magdalena – This beautiful palace was built in 1912 and sits on a hill overlooking Santander Bay. The palace is now used for conferences and events, but visitors can still take a tour of the grounds and admire the stunning architecture.
- Playa del Sardinero – This beautiful beach is located in the heart of Santander and is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Make sure to take a dip in the crystal clear waters and soak up the sun.
- Mercado del Este – This vibrant indoor market is a great place to sample local delicacies, including seafood and cheese.
- Centro Botín – This modern art center, designed by Renzo Piano, houses a collection of contemporary art and offers stunning views of the bay.
Places to Eat
- Restaurante El Serbal – This Michelin-starred restaurant serves up creative dishes using local ingredients. Make sure to try the grilled octopus with black garlic.
- Barrio Pesquero – This charming neighborhood is filled with seafood restaurants serving up fresh catches of the day.
- La Bombi – This cozy tapas bar is a local favorite and is known for its delicious croquettes and patatas bravas.
Santander is a beautiful city with plenty to offer visitors. From the stunning Palacio de la Magdalena to the vibrant Mercado del Este, there’s something for everyone. Whether you’re a foodie or a beach lover, Santander is a must-visit destination. So why not book your next trip to this beautiful city today?