If you’re planning a trip to Spain from the UK, taking an overnight ferry is a comfortable and convenient way to travel. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know about overnight ferries to Spain, including the companies that operate, the facilities onboard, the destinations available, and a brief overview of each city.
Companies that operate overnight ferries to Spain
There are two main companies that operate overnight ferries to Spain from the UK: Brittany Ferries and P&O Ferries.
- Brittany Ferries – Brittany Ferries operates services from Plymouth and Portsmouth to the northern coast of Spain, including Santander and Bilbao. The company offers a range of onboard facilities, including restaurants, bars, cinemas, and cabins.
- P&O Ferries – P&O Ferries operates services from Portsmouth to Bilbao. The company offers a range of onboard facilities, including restaurants, bars, and cabins.
Facilities onboard overnight ferries to Spain
Both Brittany Ferries and P&O Ferries offer a range of onboard facilities to make your journey as comfortable as possible. These include:
- Restaurants – both companies offer a range of dining options, including buffet restaurants, a la carte restaurants, and cafes.
- Bars – both companies have bars onboard, where you can relax and enjoy a drink.
- Cabins – both companies offer a range of cabin options, from standard cabins to luxury suites.
- Entertainment – both companies offer onboard entertainment, including cinemas, live music, and games rooms.
Destinations available on overnight ferries to Spain
Brittany Ferries and P&O Ferries offer services to several destinations in Spain, including:
- Santander – Santander is a beautiful city on the northern coast of Spain. Highlights include the Magdalena Palace, the Sardinero Beach, and the Centro Botin arts centre.
- Bilbao – Bilbao is a vibrant city in the Basque Country. Highlights include the Guggenheim Museum, the Casco Viejo old town, and the San Mamés Stadium.
A brief overview of each destination
Santander – Santander is a charming and relaxed city with a beautiful coastline and plenty of green spaces. The Magdalena Palace is a must-visit attraction, with its stunning architecture and beautiful gardens. The Sardinero Beach is also worth a visit, with its golden sands and clear waters. The Centro Botin arts centre is another highlight, with its modern architecture and impressive art collection.
Bilbao – Bilbao is a modern and cosmopolitan city with a vibrant cultural scene. The Guggenheim Museum is one of the city’s most famous attractions, with its striking architecture and world-class art collection. The Casco Viejo old town is another highlight, with its charming narrow streets, historic buildings, and excellent tapas bars. The San Mamés Stadium is also worth a visit, with its impressive architecture and passionate football fans.
Taking an overnight ferry to Spain from the UK is a comfortable and enjoyable way to travel. Both Brittany Ferries and P&O Ferries offer a range of onboard facilities, and the destinations of Santander and Bilbao are both worth exploring. Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway or a family holiday, an overnight ferry to Spain is a great option to consider.